Patients who are missing teeth in the Washington, DC, area can greatly benefit from dental implants. Dental implants from Drs. Emery, Retana, and DiFabio at the Capital Center for Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery provide a natural-looking solution to missing teeth for a gorgeous smile that restores functionality and can improve self-confidence.
The specialists at Capital Center® for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery are recognized experts in the field of dental implantology, and our practice has served patients in the Washington, DC area for more than three decades. Based on our years of experience and extensive training, we promote safe, predictable, and natural-looking restoration.
Beyond our work in practice, our doctors continue to advance the technology and techniques related to dental implant placement. Our founder, Dr. Robert Emery, is also one of the inventors of the X-Guide, a computer-guided system for surgeries that require extreme precision. This research-backed approach significantly improves the accuracy and lowers the risk of treatment compared to other techniques. Placing dental implants with X-Guide is quick, efficient, and minimally invasive, and the results are aesthetically appealing and durable.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants have a wide range of benefits that make them the perfect choice for a number of Washington, DC, patients. These benefits include:
- Preservation of the jaw bone.When teeth go missing, the bone that once held the teeth in place begins to deteriorate because it is no longer necessary. Dental implants take the place of these missing teeth to prevent reabsorption of bone, which can lead to changes in the facial profile.
- Natural-looking, durable smile.Simply put, dental implants are the most natural-looking and longest-lasting way to restore missing teeth. They far outshine dentures, bridges, and crowns in appearance, and with proper care and maintenance, they can last for a lifetime.
- Preservation of existing teeth.The installation of dental implants does not require our doctors to sand down surrounding teeth to make room. Rather, patients can keep their healthy teeth in place so they won’t have more problems in the future.
- Strong and solid grip.Unlike dentures, which can lose their grip over time and begin to slip and slide when a person is trying to eat or speak, dental implants never loosen or fall out. They’re a permanent fixture in the mouth that allows patients to bite and chew like they normally would.
- Easy cleaning.Dental implants can be cleaned just like regular teeth. Dentures, on the other hand, must be taken out of the mouth and soaked, leaving patients with an embarrassing gummy smile during this process.
Who Is a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Almost anyone can get dental implants. Ideally for dental implants, Washington, DC, patients should have a good amount of jawbone, as the bone is what holds the implant in place. If you have been told you do not have enough bone Drs. Emery, Retana and Difabio can replace it before the implants are placed.
Of course, there are a few different types of implants available to patients. These include:
- Single implant: The replacement of just one missing tooth. You only need one implant in this case.
- Multiple implants: The replacement of more than one tooth. Each missing tooth may have its own implant. To save money more than one tooth can be place on an implant. This is called an implant bridge.
- No metal implants: An implant that has no metal in it. This is for patient’s that are concerned about the use of metals.
- Full-mouth implants: This is when allof the teeth in the mouth are replaced with dental implants. Sometimes called All-on-four or TeethXpress
- Immediate implants: Also known as Teeth in a Day, immediate implants are placed all in one appointment, allowing the patient to restore their smile with a temporary tooth.
How Much Do Dental Implants Cost?
The cost of dental implants for Washington, DC, patients varies on many different factors. To know for sure what this procedure will cost, patients are urged to schedule a consultation with our doctors. By examining their unique situation, our doctors will be able to quote a price that’s accurate and reasonable.
For patients with dental insurance, dental implants may be covered. Our staff will consult with their insurance company to determine what the cost of implants might be.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM THE DENTAL IMPLANT PROCEDURE?
Capital Center® for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery includes some of the world’s leading experts in dental implantology. We have built a medical practice of like-minded specialists in order to offer the best treatment possible. Valuing patient education, we spend extensive time in consultation and make sure that those in our care know and understand their options. Our goal is for patients to make their own decisions about treatment and to leave our office feeling confident about their upcoming procedure.
Placing dental implants is a complex process, and successful outcomes depend on a practitioner’s skill, precision, and expertise. General dentists frequently refer their Washington, DC patients to the specialists in our office, and we coordinate extensively with them as part of treatment.
Advanced technology supports these efforts and improves accuracy in the diagnosis, planning, and surgical processes. With the X-Guide system, patients can receive dental implants with no incisions, greater comfort, and a faster recovery. The results are also more predictable and have a lower risk of complications than implants placed without X-Guide.
Capital Center® for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery offers patients local anesthesia, IV sedation, and general anesthesia during their procedure. We can also apply EXPAREL®, a long-lasting local anesthetic that improves comfort significantly after surgery. As a result, most patients do not need narcotic medications as part of their recovery. They typically require nothing stronger than acetaminophen or ibuprofen to manage discomfort, and, generally, they can return to work the next day.
What Is the Recovery Like With Dental Implants?
Dental implants don’t have to hurt. In many cases using incision free surgery and the X-Guide you can have surgery in the morning and return to work the same day. After the procedure, the jaw needs time to heal and bond with the implant. This usually takes two months. During this time, patients will have one follow-up appointment at our Washington, DC, office to ensure everything is healing smoothly. Once the implant is secure, the final replacement tooth can be attached. In some cases a crown can be placed the same day.
Browse Before and After Photos in Our Gallery
For those curious about how dental implants look in real life, our before and after photos provide a great look into how the procedure has helped our Washington, DC, area patients.
If you’re missing teeth and are interested in learning more about dental implants, please call our office at (202) 386-7100 and our knowledgeable staff will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.